Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Start! No, really... start.

One of my long time friends made the comment that he and I may be in a contest to see who "fizzles out first". Being a person who knows me pretty well, his comment was more of an observation.

Most of the people I know, also know that I have a great history of ideas that get explosive starts but lousy finishes. In my own defense, it's not that I'm lazy, it's because once the initial problems are all solved, I'm pretty much satisfied that the remainder of the execution is an "exercise for the reader".

I'm going to make a committed effort here to maintain this blog on, at least, a semiweekly basis (2-5 posts per week). Given the way I work (my friends also know I have the attention span of a meth-addicted ferret) I could easily have 2-3 posts one day and go silent for a week.

Because I'm a computer programmer, much of what I post will be software related. It's the only thing I can talk about and seem intelligent. I won't limit my blogs to the topic of software development though. On rare occasion, I do have things to say on other topics.

So, as a classic fast starter, slow finisher, I accept the gauntlet thrown down by one of the best software developers I've ever met. Thanks, man. Maybe I'll stay motivated.

Wouldn't it be funny if you're reading this 8 months after I post it... And it was my last post?
(NOTE: I'm also officially pissed that he thought of the name "Tardy Pessimist" and I didn't.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, the "fizzle" sidenote was really a jab at my own pessimistic self! I honestly wasn't thinking of you. I'm right there with you in your description of idea starts and attention spans.

By the way, the "Tardy Pessimist" thing was originally going to be "Introverted Pessimist", but even I found that a tad too pessimistic.